Skip to content
New Zealand has the largest place name in the world. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu which is the name of a hill in the Hawkes Bay.
- In 1893 New Zealand became the first country in the world to give women the right to vote.
- In 1990 the then New Zealand Prime Minister appointed a national wizard.
- Only 5% of New Zealand's population are human, the rest are animals.
- In August 2018 New Zealand's Prime Minister banned single use plastic bags.
- Blue Lake, in the Nelson Lakes National Park, has the clearest water in the world.
- There are no land snakes, native or introduced, in New Zealand.
- New Zealand is home to the giant weta, the heaviest insect in the world. It is heavier than a sparrow and looks like a giant cockroach. (We think it ate all the snakes!)
- The logo for the Royal New Zealand Air Force is a kiwi - a flightless bird.
- There are more vending machines in Japan than there are people in New Zealand.